Once you have enabled this feature, a new option in the Settings menu will appear, called “Policies”. Here you can create a new policy or edit an existing one later, assign employees to the policies and set their balances.
In order to create a new policy, click the “Create Policy” button in the upper right corner of the screen, and a configuration page will open with the following fields to fill in:
1. Policy name – Allows you to name your policy the way you want (e.g. “Sick” or “Vacation”)
2. Policy Type* – Here you can choose whether you want to cover only employees who are on pay periods or all active employees in the system. To learn more about policy types, please click here.
3. Notes – Internal notes which should be used as a brief description of a policy.
4. Accrual Levels – Allows you to specify how the hours are accrued. There can be multiple levels of accruing. The “Accrual Starts” field defines the starting points of all accrual calculations. Accrual can start on an employee’s hire date or after a certain amount of time has passed. The “Accrual amount” option allows you to specify the exact number of hours and how they are accrued. Depending on your policy type, you might see different options. For more information, please click here. “Maximum accrual” allows you to set the upper bound for accruing hours, and the “Carryover” option allows you to specify the number of hours which can be carried over to the following year.
5. Accrual Options – Here you can set how the accruals will be counted, when the carryover should happen, when the PTO hours are going to be available to an employee, and if you are going to permit a negative balance.
6. Assign employees –Here you can select which employees should be assigned to each policy. One employee can be assigned to more than one policy, and one policy can have more than one employee assigned to it. The Department/Position filters allow you to assign multiple employees to the policy based on their department or position.
Employees can be assigned to policies when creating/editing a policy, or by clicking the “Employees assigned” table column where all the policies are listed. All assigned employees will appear on the right side of the screen, colored in blue.
When it comes to removing employees from the policy, you can uncheck those employees from the list, or click the “X” button next to the employees’ names in the blue colored field.
When an employee is removed from the policy from this page, his current balance will remain unchanged and employee will be set as inactive. To learn more about PTO balances, please click here.
When an employee is terminated/disabled in the Employees section, he/she becomes inactive for all policies where that person is assigned to and his/her current balance remains as it was. If you decide to re-activate this user you will have to re-activate him within a policy as well. When an employee is deleted in the Employees section, they are removed from all policies where they are assigned to and their balance is set to 0.
Once you have successfully configured a policy, it will be listed in the “Policies” section where you can edit it. Besides this, you can set/adjust a balance for employees for each created policy at any point of time.